Saturday, November 3, 2012

  It is amply justified to secure an end

  "It is amply justified to secure an end," he said blandly. "Forexample - I want something - I cannot obtain that somethingthrough the ordinary channel or by the employment of ordinarymeans. It is essential to me, to my happiness, to my comfort, ormy amour-propre, that that something shall be possessed by me. IfI can buy it, well and good. If I can buy those who can use theirinfluence to secure this thing for me, so much the better. If Ican obtain it by any merit I possess, I utilize that merit,providing always, that I can secure my object in the time,otherwise"He shrugged his shoulders.
  "I see," she said, nodding her head quickly. "I suppose that ishow blackmailers feel."He frowned.
  "That is a word I never use, nor do I like to hear it employed,"he said. "Blackmail suggests to me a vulgar attempt to obtainmoney.""Which is generally very badly wanted by the people who use it,"said the girl, with a little smile, "and, according to yourargument, they are also justified.""It is a matter of plane," he said airily. "Viewed from mystandpoint, they are sordid criminals - the sort of person that T.
  X. meets, I presume, in the course of his daily work. T. X., hewent on somewhat oracularly, "is a man for whom I have a greatdeal of respect. You will probably meet him again, for he willfind an opportunity of asking you a few questions about myself. Ineed hardly tell you - "He lifted his shoulders with a deprecating smile.
  "I shall certainly not discuss your business with any person,"said the girl coldly.
  "I am paying you 3 pounds a week, I think," he said. "I intendincreasing that to 5 pounds because you suit me most admirably.""Thank you," said the girl quietly, "but I am already being paidquite sufficient."She left him, a little astonished and not a little ruffled.
  To refuse the favours of Remington Kara was, by him, regarded assomething of an affront. Half his quarrel with T. X. was thatgentleman's curious indifference to the benevolent attitude whichKara had persistently adopted in his dealings with the detective.
  He rang the bell, this time for his valet.
  "Fisher," he said, "I am expecting a visit from a gentleman namedGathercole - a one-armed gentleman whom you must look after if hecomes. Detain him on some pretext or other because he is ratherdifficult to get hold of and I want to see him. I am going outnow and I shall be back at 6.30. Do whatever you can to preventhim going away until I return. He will probably be interested ifyou take him into the library.""Very good, sir," said the urbane Fisher, "will you change beforeyou go out?"Kara shook his head.
  "I think I will go as I am," he said. "Get me my fur coat. Thisbeastly cold kills me," he shivered as he glanced into the bleakstreet. "Keep my fire going, put all my private letters in mybedroom, and see that Miss Holland has her lunch."Fisher followed him to his car, wrapped the fur rug about hislegs, closed the door carefully and returned to the house. Fromthence onward his behaviour was somewhat extraordinary for awell-bred servant. That he should return to Kara's study and setthe papers in order was natural and proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment